Sewing 101: Alterations
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Level: Sewing 101 - Beginner Friendly, No experience Required
Duration: 2.5 hours
Do you want to learn how to sew and make simple fixes to your clothes? Ready to tackle that pile of alterations in your closet with loose buttons or unsightly holes? Join our Alterations 101 class and learn to make easy fixes on your garments! In this hands-on course, you will learn essential sewing skills, beginner alterations techniques, and the confidence to tackle small alterations with ease. Alterations are some of the most tricky types of sewing that you can do (hence the high cost at the tailors!!) so we’re starting with the basics here!!
In this class, we will begin with learning all the parts and functions of the machine. Then we’ll master Winding the bobbin and threading the machine. Then we will learn how to sew on the sewing machine. Then we will continue with learning three simple alterations: Hemming, repairing holes, and sewing on a button only.
WHAT TO BRING: Please bring any or all of the following. One item needing to be hemmed, one item needing a hole repaired, and one item needing a button re-sewn. Pants, Skirts, Shorts, or Dresses that need to be hemmed. If you don’t have any of those items on hand, we will have example mock-ups for you to work on so you will get to experience all three techniques hands on.
- Pants, Skirts, Shorts, or Dresses that need to be hemmed. Ideally this should be an unlined garment - please do not bring knits, blazers, puffy coats, or blind hems.
- An item with a small to medium hole in it that needs to be repaired.
- Garment that needs a button sewn on. Or an existing garment with buttons that we can cut the button off of and sew it back on.
- If you don’t have an example of one of these, I will have mock-ups for you.
This class is not appropriate for any other types of alterations. If you are interested in learning other techniques, please book our Guided Studio time. This is so that the requisite class time can be spent focusing on beginner skills and that your alteration can get the full attention it deserves.
About our instructor:
Lauren (she/her) is the co-founder of UR Fancy Shop and Ugly Rugly. She is a seasoned sewing teacher with a wealth of industry experience, with 4+ years of instructing a diverse array of design and sewing classes across various age groups. Holding a BFA in Fashion Design from California College of the Arts, she has honed her skills in the apparel, retail, and manufacturing sectors, most recently working as a seamstress in a knitwear factory. She strives to build a sense of community, encouraging individuals to explore their creativity and fostering new skills in the URFS workshop!
- Is this class beginner friendly?
- This class is ideal for beginners! These projects are designed to be a great first craft project, think of this as your practice project to learn the basic skills. We provide step-by-step instructions in a clear and easy-to-follow manner. The instructor focuses on fundamental techniques, so that you can learn the basic techniques before tackling larger projects that you’re really excited for!
- When to show up?
- Please arrive 5 minutes early to class. Students later than 15 minutes will forfeit their spot in the class.
- Materials, tools, and machines:
- Sewing Machines: we use the Singer Heavy Duty home sewing machine, ensuring a standardized and consistent learning experience for all participants. We kindly discourage students bringing their own machines, to prevent disruptions caused by potential malfunctions and to maintain a smooth class flow. This way we can focus our class time on skill-building and project completion, rather than troubleshooting individual sewing machines.
- Tools: We will have all tools necessary to complete the project, you’re not required to buy or bring any tools.
- Fabrics, yarn, thread, or other materials: Most of our classes will provide all of the necessary materials for this class. We will typically provide a wide variety of options for you to choose from. If a class requires you to purchase your own supplies, the description will specify.
- Skills learned:
- How to use the sewing machine
- Sewing on a button
- Fixing / patching a hole
- Included in the class:
- Mock-up projects, if needed
- For best outcome, try to bring one of your own garments from home.
Learn more about our class policies here. Please arrive 5 minutes early to class!
Interested in growing your skills further or have already taken a 101 class? Check out our Sewing 102 courses, advanced courses, or other crafts!
Please note: Our intention is for you to leave with a fully finished piece after completing the class. Our classes are paced with that in mind! Depending on your particular speed and skills, this cannot be guaranteed and our instructor may advise you to do work at home or advise you to arrange a time with UR Fancy Shop to complete in our studio so that you can finish your project.
Some classes require a minimum number of sign-ups to proceed, and in the event that a minimum number of sign ups is not met, we may opt to cancel, postpone, or reschedule the class. Should a class fall short of the required sign-ups, we will notify you 24–48 hours prior to the scheduled start time with options for rescheduling to the next class, waitlist, or obtaining store credit.
Looking to give the gift of classes? Opt for a convenient UR Fancy Shop gift card, allowing them the flexibility to choose the class and time that suits them best!