Sewing 102: Make your own clothes!
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Level: Sewing 102 - Some experience required. You must have either taken one of our sewing 101 classes or have sewn in the recent past and feel mostly comfortable on the machine.
Duration: 5 hours
Join our apparel sewing class and hone essential skills to make your own clothes. In this class, we will make your choice of either a simple boxy top or pair of pants, size inclusive! Learn to cut fabric with proper techniques and precision. Dive into the world of commercial sewing patterns, learn to decode patterns and follow them properly. Learn to sew with proper techniques, ensuring professional-quality fit in your garment. Choose your own fabrics to fit your unique style! Leave the class with a fully finished garment and new skills for future sewing endeavors!
Choose your own fabrics for this project! You will need to purchase your fabrics ahead of time and bring it to class with you. We do not have fabric for sale and do not have any fabrics on hand that you can use for this project.
Amount: Top or pants will need 3-4 yards. Plus sizes will need 4-5 yards. For pattern ME2033, you will need 2 yards of fabric A and 2 yards of fabric B.
Acceptable fabrics: Woven fabrics only. These are non stretchy fabrics, such as woven cottons or poly blends, wools, crepes, twills, and flannel.
NO: knits (t-shirt, sweatshirt fabric), no slinky, stretchy, sequin, satin, slippery, silky, sheer, shiny, leather, pleather, heavy denim, fur.
Patterns: We will be sewing with Simplicity patterns: ME2033, S9551, OR S9127.
If you’d like to bring in your own top or pant pattern, it must state that it’s “easy-to-sew” or beginner level, no zippers, buttons, or linings. Email a photo of the front and back of your pattern for approval at least 48 hours before the class.
About our instructor:
Lauren (she/her) is the co-founder of UR Fancy Shop and Ugly Rugly. She is a seasoned sewing teacher with a wealth of industry experience, with 4+ years of instructing a diverse array of design and sewing classes across various age groups. Holding a BFA in Fashion Design from California College of the Arts, she has honed her skills in the apparel, retail, and manufacturing sectors, most recently working as a seamstress in a knitwear factory. She strives to build a sense of community, encouraging individuals to explore their creativity and fostering new skills in the URFS workshop!
- Is this class beginner friendly?
- Some experience required. Designed for students with some experience and/or who have taken any of our 101 classes, this class offers projects strategically designed to build and expand upon existing skills. Through challenging yet achievable assignments, participants will delve into more intricate techniques, fostering a deeper understanding of garment construction and design.
- When to show up?
- Please arrive 5 minutes early to class. Students later than 15 minutes will forfeit their spot in the class.
- Materials, tools, and machines:
- Sewing Machines: we use the Singer Heavy Duty home sewing machine, ensuring a standardized and consistent learning experience for all participants. We kindly discourage students bringing their own machines, to prevent disruptions caused by potential malfunctions and to maintain a smooth class flow. This way we can focus our class time on skill-building and project completion, rather than troubleshooting individual sewing machines.
- Tools: We will have all tools necessary to complete the project, you’re not required to buy or bring any tools.
- Skills learned:
- Sewing on the machine
- Identifying the proper sizing
- Cutting fabrics properly
- Construction and sewing
- Class includes:
Fabric Stores: New York Fabrics in Ridgewood, Lester’s Fabrics in Brooklyn, Mood, B&J Fabrics.
Learn more about our class policies here. Please arrive 5 minutes early to class!
Interested in growing your skills further or have already taken a 101 class? Check out our Sewing 102 courses, advanced courses, or other crafts!
Please note: Our intention is for you to leave with a fully finished piece after completing the class. Our classes are paced with that in mind! Depending on your particular speed and skills, this cannot be guaranteed and our instructor may advise you to do work at home or advise you to arrange a time with UR Fancy Shop to complete in our studio so that you can finish your project.
Some classes require a minimum number of sign-ups to proceed, and in the event that a minimum number of sign ups is not met, we may opt to cancel, postpone, or reschedule the class. Should a class fall short of the required sign-ups, we will notify you 24–48 hours prior to the scheduled start time with options for rescheduling to the next class, waitlist, or obtaining store credit.
Looking to give the gift of classes? Opt for a convenient UR Fancy Shop gift card, allowing them the flexibility to choose the class and time that suits them best!