Sewing 101: Tote with Pocket
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Level: Sewing 101 - Beginner Friendly - No experience Required
Duration: 2.5 hours
About the class:
Always schlepping something around? Same here. Learn how to make your own tote with a pocket from scratch! This class is designed for individuals with no prior experience or for folks wanting to brush up on their skills. With easy-to-follow instructions and hands-on guidance, you'll discover the joy of sewing and take home your very own handmade tote bag!
About our instructor:
Lauren (she/her) is the co-founder of UR Fancy Shop and Ugly Rugly. She is a seasoned sewing teacher with a wealth of industry experience, with 4+ years of instructing a diverse array of design and sewing classes across various age groups. Holding a BFA in Fashion Design from California College of the Arts, she has honed her skills in the apparel, retail, and manufacturing sectors, most recently working as a seamstress in a knitwear factory. She strives to build a sense of community, encouraging individuals to explore their creativity and fostering new skills in the URFS workshop!
- Is this class beginner friendly?
- This sewing class is ideal for beginners! These projects are designed to be a great first craft project, think of this as your practice project to learn the basic skills. We provide step-by-step instructions in a clear and easy-to-follow manner. The instructor focuses on fundamental techniques, so that you can learn the basic techniques before tackling larger projects that you’re really excited for!
- When to show up?
- Please arrive 5 minutes early to class. Students later than 15 minutes will forfeit their spot in the class.
- Materials, tools, and machines:
- Sewing Machines: we use the Singer Heavy Duty home sewing machine, ensuring a standardized and consistent learning experience for all participants. We kindly discourage students bringing their own machines, to prevent disruptions caused by potential malfunctions and to maintain a smooth class flow. This way we can focus our class time on skill-building and project completion, rather than troubleshooting individual sewing machines.
- Tools: We will have all tools necessary to complete the project, you’re not required to buy or bring any tools.
- Fabrics, yarn, thread, or other materials: Most of our classes will provide all of the necessary materials for this class. We will typically provide a wide variety of options for you to choose from. If a class requires you to purchase your own supplies, the description will specify.
- Skills learned:
- Parts and functions of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine
- Winding a bobbin
- Sewing on the machine
- Finishing techniques
- Class includes:
- Fabric, thread, and straps.
Learn more about our class policies here. Please arrive 5 minutes early to class!
Interested in growing your skills further or have already taken a 101 class? Check out our Sewing 102 courses, advanced courses, or other crafts!
Looking to give the gift of classes? Opt for a convenient UR Fancy Shop gift card, allowing them the flexibility to choose the class and time that suits them best!
Our intention is for you to leave with a fully finished piece after completing the class. Our classes are paced with that in mind! Depending on your particular speed and skills, this cannot be guaranteed and our instructor may advise you to do work at home or advise you to arrange a time with UR Fancy Shop to complete in our studio so that you can finish your project.
Some classes require a minimum number of sign-ups to proceed, and in the event that a minimum number of sign ups is not met, we may opt to cancel, postpone, or reschedule the class. Should a class fall short of the required sign-ups, we will notify you 24–48 hours prior to the scheduled start time, presenting options such as rescheduling for the next class, receiving a refund, or obtaining store credit.